٢ ذو القعدة ١٤٤٣ هـ
An update from the SASCI chairperson, where 5 subjects were arisen
Dear SASCI Members,
In this update:
1. Registering SASCI as an Entity – Logo Design Competition
2. Please vote for Prof William (Bill) Roberts to join Combustion Institute board
3. 13th SASCI Conference – 5th – 6th October 2022 at Abha
4. Combustion and Sustainability – Students Debate 25 August 2022
5. We would love to hear from you
1. Registering SASCI as an Entity – Logo Design CompetitionI’m pleased to report that we have managed to register SASCI as an entity within KAUST and to open an account to handle our finances. This move will allow us to run our own budget, run independent events and conferences, and better serve our members. With this flexibility, we were able to develop a sound and ambitious strategic plan for the future. While you are there please check out our slightly revamped website (http://sas-ci.org) and get to know the new members of SASCI board.Logo CompetitionWe are running a competition for the design of a SASCI logo. The winner will be acknowledged on our website, receive a thank you certificate and a gift voucher.Those interested should take into consideration these points:
o Simple design
o Clear in both color and B&W
o Convey the combustion theme
o Distinct for our sectionPlease send designs by 30th of July 2022 to: SA.Comb.Inst@gmail.com
2. Please vote for Prof William (Bill) Roberts to join Combustion Institute boardYou would have received an email about the election of board members of the combustion institute. Prof Bill Roberts was nominated as a candidate. I would like to urge all of you to vote for him to guarantee representation of our section and the rest of the region on the board.How to vote:
o You will receive an email from the combustion institute with links to the voting page
o You will be asked to rank 6 candidates out of 12
o Please make sure to rank Bill as number one.
3. 12th SASCI Conference – 5th – 6th October 2022 at AbhaThis year’s conference will be held in Abha on the 5th and 6th of October 2022. Dr Awad Alquaity (KFUPM) and Dr Umesh Patil (Air Products) are the conference chairs. The conference will run for one and half days. On 6th October (Thursday), we have organized a visit to the Jizan gasification plant for those who are interested. The theme of the conference is Towards Near Zero-Carbon Energy and Mobility. Please mark these dates in your calendars and start thinking what you would present in the conference. More details to follow in the next couple of months.
4. Combustion and Sustainability – Students’ Debate 25th August 2022SASCI has teamed up with Saudi Youth for Sustainability to run a student event around the role of combustion in a sustainable future. The hybrid event will be held on the 26th of August at KAUST and broadcasted live. The format is being finalized as part of a collaborative effort. Please remain tuned for further announcements.
5. We would love to hear from youThe SASCI board would love to hear from our members regarding any issues that they would like to raise. Feedback on our strategy, activities and new ideas are all welcome. Please do write to us; we will endeavor to consider every communication and act on it if feasible. Please write to the secretary on: SA.Comb.Inst@gmail.com or to me directly if you prefer to do so.Hope to see you all either on our online events or in person in the next conference.